Hi everybody, my name is Helen Williams.
I’m the founder of The Functional Nutrition Clinic and I’ve been working in the field of optimal health for the past 12 years.
I set up The Functional Nutrition Clinic to support people who are suffering from chronic health conditions. I use a functional medicine approach, believing that each person is biochemically unique and “one size does not fit all”. Conventional medicine focuses entirely on symptom suppression whereas functional medicine optimises health and eliminates symptoms by addressing the root cause of imbalances to interconnecting body systems.
My promise to you:
I’ll commit to you my full support and experience
in helping you achieve the health you deserve
After leaving school I spent many years in the airline industry working as a flight attendant when my dietary choices and lifestyle were far from optimal. Irregular working hours, erratic sleep patterns and poor dietary choices all led to me feeling burnt out, I suffered from IBS (particularly constipation) and developed migraines.
In my early 30’s I’d had enough of traveling constantly and living out of a suitcase. I’d also met my partner by this time and did not want to be away from home any more so I decided to leave the aviation industry.
A couple of years later I gave birth to my daughter, with my second daughter following 2 years later. (They are now in their early 20’s)
It was when my children were very young I decided I would like to reignite the interest I had in nutrition when I was at school and I decided to take a short course in nutrition and dietary advice. One course led to another and since then the learning has never really stopped!
Through implementing all that I have learnt over the years my migraines are now very rare, my IBS is controlled and I feel more energetic now than I did 25 years ago.
- I have trained at The Institute of Optimum Nutrition, Raworth College for Sports Therapy and Natural Medicine and completed a diploma and a BSc (Hons) degree in Nutritional Therapy at the Centre for Nutrition Education (affiliated to Middlesex University). In 2012 I attended the AFMCP (Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice) course with the Institute of Functional Medicine in London
- I am a fully insured member of the British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (www.bant.org.uk), a member of the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (www.cnhc.org.uk) The CNHC was set up with government support to protect the public by providing a UK voluntary register of complementary therapists. CNHC’s register has been approved as an Accredited Register by the Professional Standards Authority for Health and Social Care.
- I am also a Senior Associate Member of the Royal Society of Medicine.
Since I graduated with my degree in Nutritional Therapy in 2003 I have continued to add to and develop my knowledge. I have been fortunate to train and study with some of the top practitioners in their fields such as leading coeliac and gluten sensitivity specialist Dr Tom O Bryan, the creator of Functional Medicine, Dr Jeffery Bland and many of the IFM presenters such as Michael Ash, Dr Robert Rountree and Dr Mark Hyman
I have developed special areas of interest in digestive complaints such as SIBO, IBS and IBD and auto immune conditions like Hashimoto’s. I am a registered practitioner on Dr Isabella Wentz’ directory of clinicians (http://www.thyroidpharmacist.com/)
CPD (Continual Professional Development)
Here is a selection of the many CPD seminars I have undertaken :
- AFMCP 2012 (Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice The IFM (Institute of Functional Medicine) teaches health care professionals how to apply their principles in practice through an intensive 5-day training course called AFMCP
- FODMAPS training day
- Auto Immunity
- Abundant Energy
- Dr Tom O’Bryan: Gluten Sensitivity and Coeliac Disease
- Antony Haynes: Weight Loss Triage
- Dr James Wilson: Recovering from Adverse Stress and Fatigue
- Antony Haynes: Female Hormone Balance
- Dr Martin Pall: Nutritional Updates on Complex Diseases
- SCD Lifestyle -Leaky Gut Course
- Optimal Blood Chemistry Training – Dr Dicken Weatherby
- MTHFR, Methylation, & Biochemistry Master Course -Michael McEvoy, Metabolic Healing
- Kalish 101 – Functional Medicine course
- Certified SIBO practitioner – Dr Alison Siebecker and Invivo Clinical
- Hashimoto’s Institute – certified practitioner. Completed and passed the 12 week training prgramme for clinicians to advance the ability to work with clients with autoimmune hypothyroidism. Taught by Dr Izabella Wentz , PharmD, FASCP, Dr Alan Christianson NMD and Andrea Nakayama
- Completed the Action against Alzheimer’s programme. This is an educational programme using components of the Bredesen Protocol in a preventative capacity to help the general public understand what they need to do to optimise cognitive function
I attend regular webinars from the following laboratories:
- Precision Analytical
- Drs Data
- Hashimoto”s Institute
- Autoimmune Summit
- The Detox Summit
- Digestion Sessions
- Depression Sessions
- Thyroid Sessions
- The Paleo Summit
- The SIBO SOS summit
- Chris Kresser Institute – Member of the Adapt Academy
- Mastering Functional Lab test Analysis -Michael McEvoy, Metabolic Healing
In addition to my clinical practice, I am a registered expert on the online health magazine “Get the Gloss” and regularly contribute articles. (http://www.getthegloss.com/expert/helen-williams)
Click here (or on the picture) to book your free strategy session: